1. Hydrogen peroxide: this multi use formula is not only good for skin wounds that you do not want to close up right away i.e. a puncture wound where there is a deep air pocket like the base of the neck, but also works great as an emetic, so if your dog ever gets into a box of chocolates, you will definitely want to have this in hand! Disclaimer: Do NOT induce vomiting unless instructed by your veterinarian or the animal poison control. You must ensure the poison is not caustic.
2. Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride or Benadryl: Unfortunately, sometimes we learn the hard way when it comes to finding things we are deathly allergic too, say a bee or wasp sting, that is the same case for our pets. I personally like the liquid form as I can quickly syringe it in their mouths, but it also comes in tablet form. For dosing you would want 1-2mg/lb.
3. Iodine: I use iodine to clean and disinfect deeper wounds on all my fur kids (big and small), and I have been using it for years. I like to use it neat on the wound or puncture, end then wash it off, followed by an antibiotic ointment or raw honey from my farm.
4. Gauze, bandages, vet wraps: I always have bandages and vet wraps on hand in case I need to bandage a wound. You really can never have too many, and they do not spoil or expire so stock up always.
5. Cone: Imagine you bandage your pets' wound perfectly, only to turn around and see that it has been taken off in a manner of 1 second. Always have a cone on hand.
**Please seek emergency vet assistance for any and all severe cases where you should take your pet to the vet. If your pet has ingested poisons call the National Animal Poison Control Center 1-900-680-0000.
Lucy is an avid pet mom; with dogs, cats, goats and horses to keep her busy! All of her pet 'kids' are fed a species appropriate diet with proper supplementation so she can watch them thrive. Her expertise and experience lie in nutraceutical supplementation and is a health advocate for proper diet and nutrition.